April 5 2016
Developed by Northway Games in collaboration with Radial Games. The new Fantastic Contraption has been designed from the ground up to be a room-scale VR game. Imagine walking around a grassy island floating in the sky, building a machine the size of a horse with your own hands, then watching it roll out into the world.
The game uses simple tools: spinning wheels and two types of rods, a bit like the classic wooden Tinkertoys come to life. On each level you have to get a ball to a goal area, but there's never a "right" answer. Working cars, tanks, catapults, conveyor belts, walking creatures or minimalist structures that use only gravity. These contraptions are life sized, right there in front of you, beside and behind you. Every level is infinitely replayable - this is a VR experience you and your friends will play for hours.
Fantastic Contraption was originally a building game made way back in 2008. Millions of people played it obsessively and saved over 12 million contraptions. For years we loved the idea of a three dimensional Fantastic Contraption but just couldn't figure out how it would work. Then we tried the Vive.
We started work on Contraption in July 2015. It's been a wild, wild ride.
- Build huge contraptions with your own two hands
- Room-scale VR with hand support
- Surreal and beautiful immersive landscape
- Challenging puzzles with infinite solutions
- Full 3D audio by Gordon McGladdery
Launch Trailer (Vive) - YouTube
Gameplay Footage - YouTube
Alpha Teaser - YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Game Developers Choice Awards" Finalist, Best VR/AR Game, 2017
- "Proto Award" Winner, Best Interaction Design, 2016
- "Independent Games Festival (IGF)" Finalist, Nuovo Award, 2016
- "Unity Awards" Finalist, Best VR Game, 2016
- "Sense of Wonder Night (SOWN / TGS)" Winner, Best Tech, 2016
- "Vision VR/AR" Finalist, Best VR Experience, 2016
- "Impressively intuitive and whimsical as fuck."
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
- "Fantastic Contraption is a great puzzle game that keeps you thinking about building new machines long after the headset is off."
- Ian Hamilton, UploadVR
- "The game is an absolute blast."
- Jason Evangelho, Forbes
- "Fantastic Contraption might leapfrog past other titles to become the upcoming Vive’s first true, must-have game."
- Sam Machkovech, Ars Technica
- "Fantastic Contraption works the way you'd expect it to if it somehow existed in the real world, and the result is an imaginative game that rewards creativity. I can't wait to play more."
- Ben Kuchera, Polygon
- "It’s a simple premise, but excellently executed in how natural it feels to be in an environment where you can build whatever you can think of with these pipes and wheels."
- Kent Bye, Voices of VR (podcast)
- "A 3D VR workshop that puts one in mind of a toddler’s playroom version of Tony Stark’s lab from the Iron Man films."
- Bryant Francis, Gamasutra
- "It blew me away (and I'm not being paid to say that!)."
- Northernlion, Youtube
Official mixed-reality Twitch stream
Watch the archives and check the schedule twitch.tv.
Rock Paper Shotgun Interview
Why A Cat Is 100 Times Better rockpapershotgun.com.
About our team and the game's concept gamasutra.com.
About Northway Games
Northway Games is Colin and Sarah Northway, a husband and wife indie team who travel the world making games. No, really: Northway Games has set up shop in places as wide ranging as Costa Rica, the Philippines, Panama, Honduras, Mexico, Malta and Japan. They are now semi-stationary in Vancouver, Canada where they have room to stretch out and work on roomscale VR games.
More information on Northway Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Fantastic Contraption VR Credits
Colin Northway (Northway Games)
Andy Moore (Radial Games)
Lindsay Jorgensen (Radial Games)
Gordon McGladdery (A Shell in the Pit)
Sarah Northway (Northway Games)
Kimberly Voll (Radial Games)
And new folks on the Radial Games and A Shell in the Pit teams