Based in Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I Was a Teenage Exocolonist is a narrative life sim with a card battling component and a queer-friendly science fiction vibe.
Explore, grow up, and fall in love. The choices you make and skills you master over ten years will determine the course of your life and the survival of your colony.
Exocolonist is being developed by , and published by .
- 800 story events - too much to experience in one lifetime, but luckily you'll have many.
- 250 battle cards - loosely based on poker rules, make the best hand from cards like Up to your Knees in Mud (adjacent cards get +1) and Testing on Humans (cards to the right become blue)
- 30 endings - find every way to die, aim to become Governor one day, or live a simple life as a botanist and let others take care of the monster-slaying.
- 25 jobs - goof off behind the counter as a depot clerk, or join a survey team and chart the Valley of Vertigo.
- 15 skills - will you focus on empathy and organization, or train up your toughness and bravery?
- 10 dateable characters - dogboys, aliens, hot politicians and cold-as-ice killers. Can you guess what your childhood friends will grow up to be?
Developer festival demo playthroughYouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IndieCade" Winner, Procedural Design, 2020
Articles about design and development of Exocolonist NorthwayGames.com.
About Northway Games
Northway Games is Sarah and Colin Northway, partners in life and in indie games. We alternate taking the lead on games and collaborate with different artists on every project. We spent years traveling full time while making games in 25 different countries, and are now semi-stationary in Vancouver, Canada.
More information on Northway Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
I Was a Teenage Exocolonist Credits
Designer, coder, writer, etc
Characters, sprites, animation
Creature sprites, writing
Balancing, testing, code
Concept art, backgrounds
A Shell in the Pit
Audio, soundtrack mastering